WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Stanley »

Just remembered that I have to reset the Daylight Saving myself in the control panel. It seems to default to GMT. OK now!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

The guy who told me about the nick name stopped to chat with hubby at the caravan site, obviously the talk turned to wagons. He mentioned he came from Barlick so I asked him if he knew you Stanley. He said he used to work with you - his name is John, and he was a mechanic.
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's intriguing... The only John I can remember went off adventuring in S America and vanished.... Anyway, you'll know some of the secrets now!
Hows your eye?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

`Royal Navy's history remembered at Portsmouth museum'
BBC web site, 3rd April 2014
"Tales from the past 100 years of the Royal Navy are being recounted in new exhibitions opening later. Visitors to the £11.5m attractions at the National Museum of the Royal Navy in Portsmouth can tour a World War Two submarine or simply reflect on the human stories behind famous battles."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-26817824
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

A photograph of a leather suitcase opened 90 plus years after being closed. the contents were the personal effects of Edward Ambrose a soldier of the Bedfordshire regiment. This eighteen years old lad fell on the somme in defence of his country. Along with his effects were two pieces of shrapnel allegedly the ones that struck and killed him. All this a poignant reminder that we should not forget, and a reminder that the work by Thomo and others is important.
Bruff
Avid User

Post by Bruff »

Not sure whether this is the right thread, not least as my attention was attracted the other night as opposed to today....

I went to a unique establishment in Birkenhead for the first time the other night. Gallaghers Pub and Barber Shop. That's right, it's a pub with a proper barber's shop behind snob screens just past the bar. The barbers does propor wet shaves and whatnot. The pub is an CAMRA award-winner for its beers, unspoilt with traditional features, and as I know this will interest some who visit these boards, stuffed to the gunnels with military memorabilia - platoon photos, caps, dress uniform, badges, crests, photos, records, etc etc etc. There's a splendid wooden relief on the Birkenhead Drill. The landlord is ex-Irish Guards.

If ever in B'Head worth a visit - just round the corner from Hamilton Square (Metro Station and Square itself).

Richard Broughton
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Stanley wrote:That's intriguing... The only John I can remember went off adventuring in S America and vanished.... Anyway, you'll know some of the secrets now!
Hows your eye?
No, he did mpt tell me anything else. I think he worked at Silent Night and Taylors. Moved to Barlick in the 60's.
My eye is great, can't wait for my post op. and then hopefully get the other eye done.
Say only a little but say it well.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Moh wrote:No, he did mpt tell me anything else.
That's a shame Moh, we were all hoping to hear new revelations about Stanley's past. On the other hand, perhaps they're all in his books already! :wink:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Still puzzled as to who it is....
Glad you are enjoying your eye Moh, roll on number two!
LINK Have a look at this, I think some of you may have been there....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I was quite alarmed at the footage I saw of Bison...well and truly on the trot...escaping from the Yellowstone National Park area. Not only escaping, but taking the least resistant route of running down the road.
Are they being spooked by intuition of volcanic activity pending?
Quite spooky when animals act like that....
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I hadn't looked at any of the others. Try 'If an idiot shoots at a tree in a forest'.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tardis

Post by Tardis »

B&E, Craven Herald and lancashire telegraph have all carried news about the 122 potential job losses at Rolls
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Michael Schumacher is showing signs of waking up from the coma he has been in ever since hurting his head on the ski slope.
Princess Ann saying that gassing of badgers is the best way to kill them because "they just go to sleep". She has obviously never used Cymag, the most popular poison. It's a Magnesium Cyanide powder that reacts with damp in the soil and produces cyanide gas. Not a good end as evidenced by Cyclon-B by the Germans in the concentration camps.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Since before 8 this morning and at the rate of more than one per minute there has been a steady flow of beautiful vintage cars coming by here, now at 9.25, they are still coming, possibly around 150 up to now. Bentley, Rolls, Alvis, Lea Francis, Allard, Jaguar, Delage, De Dion, Frazer Nash and many others makes, mostly with the tops down, flying helmets in abundance.
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Turned on the telly this morning to witness a group of cyclists harnessed together pulling a grand piano,and pianist playing it up Crag Vale. This is the longest continuous climb in Gb about 5 miles plus. A piece of forgotten memory came back of myself with burning lungs and aching legs making the climb at fifteen years old. The best of luck to these folks, I think they may have spare pairs of legs on the side lines.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

In the light of recent developments in the search for MH370 I was starting to wonder what had happened to HMS Echo, the Royal Navy Survey Vessel. She was in the Persian Gulf on the 18th 0f March when re deployed to assist in the search. It transpires that her top speed is only 15 knots, this could be the main reason for her late arrival. However once there her search capabilities exceed anything else on off available, for instance if she detects the signal currently much talked about, her navigation system can be set to home in on it, her equipment is far superior to hand held detectors which are bit more like fishing without bait. Here she is:-

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The ping reports are beginning to firm up. On the quiet I think they are pretty certain they have found the location of the black box and hence the final resting place of the plane. One big problem is that the sea in that location is 4,500 metres deep....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've been meaning to post this for a while now. This is our town street sweeper Mark, always cheerful and always busy keeping our streets clean. Too often we forget people like Mark who contribute so much to the experience of living in Barlick. Time he was considered for a Pride of Barlick award....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

(Last night) the full house for Centre Screen Cinema at the Rainhall Centre. We ran out of seats, but wife and daughter gave theirs up (and sat round the back instead). I had to turn a youngster away for being too young as well. Although children's films often end up with people unable to get in, this is the first time on a Sunday evening.
Bodger

Post by Bodger »

One for Stanley, BBC 4 tonight 8 to 9 pm, farming, tonight is the history of milk distribution
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

A call from the Chairman of the local history society last night caused a bit of panic over the dates of this years "Barnoldswick Heritage Weekend". He was convinced that I had got my dates wrong. Having spoken with two main people involved the confusion is now sorted. Barnoldswick Heritage Weekend "will" be on the 6th and 7th of September 2014. The National Heritage Weekend is on the dates that generated the call, the 13th and 14th of September. It is as well that this glitch has been sorted as 6 months work would have gone down the pan in a flash. It was all caused by the Bancroft Steam Museums announcement that they would be "steaming" on the Heritage Weekend, 13th and 16th of September, wrong Heritage!!!
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Another private message suggesting my postings are not not up to the Sunday school level of behaviour demanded of posters on this site. A quick check of the other 43 sites I post on show that it has not been a problem else where. Maybe it is time the moderators looked at why so few new readers go on to join and contribute. If what I post is not of your taste then ignore it, even have a snipe back as some folks do, I don't mind, but please do not send Private messages it is so cowardly and offensive. Especially if accompanied by threats. Now lets see if you let this post remain to be read by any one.
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Feel free to post MY PM and let others be the judge if you think I'm cowardly.

I gave you the benefit of not airing your dirty laundry on a public line.

Of course I'll probably post your reply in return.
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Second PM received in a very bullying tone. Not the action of someone in a position of responsibility. In the future would you with my consent air your opinions publically you are the only person who could be shamed. Further private messages will be ignored from this moderator.
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

I didn't think you would.......
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”