Thomo

Re: BARLICK, A SMALL TOWNS CONTRIBUTION TO CONFLICT

Post by Thomo »

Here are the two revamped covers:-

Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Just one more chapter to go, 2000 to 2014. All of the research site commitments have now been cancelled, what I need I already have. There is still a lot to do, adding the indexes and the dedication, and re formatting it all into several base files that should be acceptable to whoever prints and or publishes it. Two and a half years this has taken, I just hope that I have got it right, or write as the case may be, It will be a great relief to hand it on.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Now at 2013, nearly there!!!!!!!!!!!
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

At 1400 this afternoon, and at page 388, the main body of the book is complete. There is still much to do but from here it should be downhill, I hope! All is now saved to disc and stick and I am having a celebratory tot.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Well done Peter enjoy your tot.
Ian
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

This week I have been in contact with two printers, Lamberts at Settle and Pioneer Press at Skipton. Both have received a number of sample pages in Word 2003 and the JPEGs of the front and back covers. As the book stands at present it is in A4 size, the text is in Times New Roman with headings in 16 point bold, the main text is 14 points and the articles culled from the local press are in 12 points. There is a one page Authors preface, a one page introduction and a two page piece about Barnoldswick. The main body of the book consists of 388 pages. Still to add are the contents page, the acknowledgments, the dedication, a summary and the index pages, I am restricting the latter to just the names of the Men and Women that the book details. At 400 pages it will be almost one inch thick, a fair chunk! Pioneer Press came up with a price yesterday for 250 and 500 copies, silk bound with full colour covers. At a meeting concerning this and other projects this week it was decided that 500 copies is the target. I consider the price quoted to be a fair one and the final cost of the book when on sale should not be high enough to become a problem. A number of copies will be given to selected bodies and individuals etc. free of charge. One slight hitch came when the printers stated that they would prefer PDF format, this has now been overcome and I should have it all converted within next week. Originally all of the work was done in MS Works, my PC came loaded with MS 2007 Office including Word, to unlock this, a key has to be entered for full use, the key on the PC does not match the program. Fortunately I have a disc copy of Word 2003 professional, all of the work has been converted to this during the process of editing and modification. It will be a long slog converting it all again but it will also be another chance to give it a thorough check through. Even at this advanced stage there is still time to get someone to do a Foreword, here I know who my choice would be, and will be asking in the coming week.

Return to “Local History Topics”