Looking for advice - Help for the Older Ages ?

uttleya

Looking for advice - Help for the Older Ages ?

Post by uttleya »

Hi everyone

Thanks for the help regarding my recent post "A poem of sorts " .
As I pointed out , my dad is 80 and living in Barlick . I phoned him earlier this week and asked him how he was and he said sick and fed up.
He has a few health issues , and this actually had him in hospital and care over the last few months . I get the impression he no longer wants to drive for fear of having an accident , but will if he has to .
My brother does live with him in a flat but works long shifts and cant possibly run him around

No doubt there are people on this forum who are either older {not elderly :-) } or have family or friends who are in the same boat
Are there any services offered by the local council , charities or any other organisations who offer transport when in need , outings , group activities
I'm only asking for help as I left the UK when I was a young boy so I really don't know how things work in the UK now

I would appreciate any advice I can get - my dads worked hard all his life from a young age , then had to retire early to look after my invalided mum and has gone downhill from there . Id hate for him to spend his last days indoors when there might be help out there
David Whipp

Re: Looking for advice - Help for the Older Ages ?

Post by David Whipp »

Help Direct is the county council funded service which ought to be able to help.

http://www.calico.org.uk/SupportServices/HelpDirect‎ or phone 0303 333 1111.

Specific Community Transport information is available at: http://www3.lancashire.gov.uk/corporate ... geid=21910
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Looking for advice - Help for the Older Ages ?

Post by Stanley »

Persuade him to kick the car into touch and use the money for taxis if he needs to go anywhere. Gets a lot of hassle off your back! I did and never regretted it.
You're not alone, have a look at the 'Family Matters' topic.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Return to “General Miscellaneous Chat & Gossip”