Sandyford Mission - Sandyford Gisburn Track

DeborahJRushworth

Sandyford Mission - Sandyford Gisburn Track

Post by DeborahJRushworth »

I said I seem to be dim and can't work out how to create a new post other than to reply to an old one but maybe I've cracked it now so copying this message here with apologies if it appears twice for everyone.

I have found a reference to some of my ancestors being baptised at Sandyford Mission in the 1870s. I'd not heard of this before and wondered if any of your local history experts knew anything about it. You have all been so knowledgeable in the past!

Some of my ancestors lived at Sandyford (George Sharp and later the Rushworths). Lower Sandyford is for sale at the moment but there are old references to Higher Sandyford, Lower Sandyford and Sandyford Cottage. I wondered if these are all now knocked together into the one large property and if one of them was used as a chapel. Also I have looked for Higher Greystones Farm on the map but haven't found it if anyone knows which farm that is I'd be grateful. I have relatives coming from Australia in the Spring and they want to tour the homes of their ancestors so I feel as though I should know where they all are!
Best wishes
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Sandyford Mission - Sandyford Gisburn Track

Post by PanBiker »

I have deleted your duplicate post in the boating thread Deborah as you have now created it's own thread. No stopping you now, easy once you have done it. I hope someone has some information for you.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Deborah, Higher Sandyford is a separate farm 100 yards up the hill towards Gisburn than Lower Sandyford. Maurice and Kath Horsfield own it and farm there. I knew Lower Sandyford when Dick Harrison farmed there fifty years ago. I suspect that Sandyford Cottage could be a farm man's house attached to Lower Sandyford.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
DeborahJRushworth

I was just wondering if the farmhouse on the hill more or less opposite the Greystones could be the Sandyford Mission? I always wondered why it has chapel type windows. Any ideas?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Can't help directly Rossy but Kath and Maurice are nice people and if you ring them and told them that I had directed you to them I'm sure they will help if they can. The number is 616914.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

DeborahJRushworth

I sorted out the house opposite the Greystones Pub. It used to be called Higher Greystones and they gradually dropped the Higher. The Tattersall family have farmed there for a long time and I was lucky enough to meet Roy and his wife last summer, who it turned out is a distant relative via the Rushworths. As far as he is aware, it's never been a chapel despite its chapel like windows. The farm and buildings are listed now. I think Sandyford Chapel must have just been a room or farm building at Sandyford Farm being used as a chapel at the time.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Next time you see Roy give him my regards and ask him to tell you about the day they swapped their old car/milk stand for a new one. Only problem was the old one had the brake pedal on the right and the accelerator in the centre. Roy got into the new one to drive it away and ran into a wall in the car park straight away. Nobody had told him the pedals were in different places..... They used the old car as a mobile milk stand, put the kits on in the yard and parked it on the grass verge for me to pick it up.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Local History Topics”