Today I shall be Mainly...

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by PanBiker »

I may not be able to make it, Sally is going to a funeral and may need the car. What time are you there from?
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Just got home, chilled to the bone! Sorry Ian, I had gone by 9.30am. Interesting day watching all the equipment being used, though it may be some time before we get to know any results.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Not to worry Wendy, get warmed up. I'll look forward to you posting the results.

I went for a quick walk on the canal bank, it is cooling down a bit though, OK if you are moving about briskly
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I thought it was cooler as well. More painting yesterday so I am using the excuse of watching paint dry to have another day off!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Watching the weather forecast patiently.Wednesday is walking morning but we have hardly been since last September. If we can go it rains so don't go, if we can't go it is a glorious sunny morning. C'est la vie. Today should be dry until lunchtime so will give it a go. That is unless it starts raining before 10.00 o clock
If you keep searching you will find it
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The best way to make the sun come out is to go for your walk prepared for the worst with layers of thermal underwear, fleeces and waterproof, hats, scarves & gloves. Ten minutes into your walk the wind will drop and the temperature rise leaving you hot, uncomfortable, with jackets tied round your waist and not enough pockets to put gloves & hats in. :grin:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I can fully relate to that Wendy, the last two decent circulars we have done we have both had to shed layers, compounded if you are putting hills in the way. We quite often by choice of route don't have a lot of options with that regard around here. Haven't need a thermal layer for along time though, base, mid and top seems OK if you keep moving.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Living where we do I dont shed my thermals till May at least! I dress for conditions up here, and forget it will be warmer & out of the wind before I've gone half a mile.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"Ne'er cast a clout 'til May be out!" Last 'summer' I never shed my vest! I am longing for sunshine and warm weather......
The paint is dry on the beds now but the longer I leave them the better. My back is improving slowly so in the absence of the castings I need I am stopping work on the engines. Could do a bit of gentle shed related activities if the mood takes me but at the moment I'm concentrating on giving my back the chance to heal.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

LizG

Post by LizG »

Well tomorrow really. We're heading off in the van, starting in Ballarat for the weekend and then off to Bright for a weekish. Hopefully the weather will warm up again. It's been around 20C for the last few weeks and then dropped to 16 yesterday and poured down, the first rain we've had for months so very welcome.
Liz
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Well we didn't get out for a walk, torrential rain and hail arrived just before our departure to the other side of Bury. Others who went said it was windy and sunny there. It never stopped raining here. I should have remembered it was always like that when I worked in Bury. Sun there rain here!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The great thing about our weather Sue is that if you don't like it, wait twenty minutes!
I shall be continuing the regime of back treatment and rest which seems to be working but very slowly.... I think I must have done something quite serious when I lost my balance holding that heavy weight.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Do you do back strenthening and mobility exercises Stanley. I got mine from the Physio and also do them in Pilates. They help prevent these incidents and also relieve problems when they occur. Since doing them my back problems are very rare and when they do occur recovery is fast.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nothing special Sue beyond keeping active. Normally I have the pain under good control but this was an accident and I suspect was a torn muscle. As it recedes I begin to realise how tense my stomach muscles have been trying to protect and compensate. It was nasty but I think I'm on top of it now.
I shall continue with the rubbing, medication and rest until the shed draws me in again......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Ah, that is what happens to Bob, mine. Is definitely disc and nerve problems when it happens and the exercises release it.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Disc and nerves was my problem all my life Sue and I learned how to cope. I don't get them now to the same extent and I suspect God has fused the vertebrae and stabilised it. This was definitely a mechanical injury. I think I have cracked it now but am not skipping about yet!
Having another easy day but the Shed is starting to pull again! A good sign.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A light session in the shed.... We'll see how we get on!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I had a successful morning in the shed and did good work yesterday. My back ached and felt tired but that's just the after effects of the injury. Very pleased. However I'm running out of work in the shed so it could be a reading day!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Farrier coming at 1pm, then a History Soc. Committee meeting at 2pm, not sure I'll make it in time! I'll spend an hour or so this morning grooming the ponies to get some of the loose hair off. They look terrible at the moment, in need of some tlc.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I suggest the vac, Wendy.
Much quicker..( upholstery brush on low suction)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

:laugh5: You can buy special vacuums.... The amount of hair that Dennis sheds would fill my vacuum 10 times over!
6fingerskipton

Post by 6fingerskipton »

o/h is currently sorting out our horse with the farrier this morning, likely have nothing taken off again though.

I'm firefighting a never ending stream of people who think little about anyone other than themselves with little or no consequence of their own stupidity.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I'm firefighting a never ending stream of people who think little about anyone other than themselves with little or no consequence of their own stupidity.[/quote]

( sounds as though you are a kindergarten teacher....????!) :laugh5:
Julie in Norfolk
Regular User

Post by Julie in Norfolk »

Today, (and yesterday and the day before) I have been mainly moving my recently widowed mum from Hereford to Norfolk. We found an ideal bungalow in the village and apart from dated decor and an avocado green bathroom suite, it is perfect. I'm off round there again now with lasagne as cooked by her grandson. Hopefully my life will get back on track now.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with a pencil, cut with an axe.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sounds like an improvement Julie. I have watched people in your situation having to deal with travelling. I was lucky in that I managed to get my mother a house five paces away across King Street. Care is less of a burden if you are close. I hope she is happy and soon settles in.... She should feel so much more secure if she knows you are close by. Mind you, she will have lost her immediate circle of friends and that might be a downer.
Dennis and Sparky might look neglected but we all know that they drew first prize in the lottery.
Word from the NE Mafia that the castings I need for the two engines are winging their way down with the carrier as they are very busy at the moment with the start of the steam rally season. They should arrive today so I shall have plenty to go at. I hope the lady arrives this morning...... Can't do with losing my afternoon sleep!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”