CHANGES

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

CHANGES

Post by Stanley »

CHANGES

I've only been living in Barlick for sixty years so I'm still an 'off-comed un' but I delight in looking back though my picture archive and seeing how things have changed.
This weeks image is the site of the old railway station in 1979 after it had been landscaped but before the Pioneer store was built, the old Central Co-op building in Albert Road was still going strong. The level crossing has gone, what is now The Green has been landscaped and grassed and the only remnant of the old railway line is the original boundary wall down at the far end alongside the fire station and of course the old railway bridge that I'm standing on on Long Ing Lane. The town has gained a car park!
However, what interests me most in this image is something we walk past every day and never give it a second glance. It's the wall from Wellhouse Road to the beginning of the Pioneer Store as it is now. Have you ever looked at it carefully? If you have you'll know that unlike almost every other wall in the town it's built with limestone blocks unlike the rest of the old town which is grit-stone from Tubber Hill.
Round about 1800 when the Leeds and Liverpool canal was being built through the town the traffic that was anticipated was mostly coal and limestone. The Canal Company were smart, they had realised that Lancashire was short of good limestone and that due to the Craven Fault, the East end of Barlick was on limestone. This was the genesis of the existing limestone quarries at Greenberfield and Gill, burned lime was a valuable commodity both for building and spreading on the land. The Canal Company opened an entirely new quarry at what became Rainhall Rock and exported tens of thousands of tons of stone via the Little Cut, a short channel from the main canal at Barnsey right into the quarry. Apart from exporting the stone they used it in all their building works when constructing the canal. Once the canal was completed they let the quarry out to Wasney of Fence End. When it reached the end of its useful life as a quarry BUDC bought it and used it for landfill of the town's rubbish for many years.
My puzzle is, why, when the railway was being built, did they use limestone instead of grit-stone? Billycock Bracewell was one of the main promoters of the new branch line and at the time most of the grit-stone quarries were controlled by the Roundel Estate at Gledstone. My suspicion is that Billycock had some sort of an issue with Roundel and preferred to deal with Wasney. Of course I may be wrong, it may just have been a matter of price but it's one of those niggling little puzzles that I chew on when I'm looking at our history. Whatever the reason, it's the biggest use of limestone in the town as a building material.

The old railway yard in 1979.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
David Whipp

Re: CHANGES

Post by David Whipp »

One of the big battles from my early years on Pendle Council was trying to get the old council offices sorted out at the junction of Rainhall Road and Fernlea Avenue (just to the left of the area pictured). By the time I got on the council the building was derelict and a right mess at the entrance to the town centre. It was knocked down and the area grassed over for a while until the site was used to build the new police station.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

And I remember the bobbies complaining at the time that the new building hadn't a room in it big enough to accommodate the full size billiard table that was in the Manchester Road police station! Wasn't the original building at one time a doctor's house and surgery?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

I'm not sure of the use before it was council offices for BUDC. I recall the building was called Fernlea.

The big change between the old and new police stations, was the way that detainees were dealt with. The new station was built with a small area of cells but, by the time it opened, the policy had changed to fewer larger custody suites. Lancashire police never used the cells (except for storage). The only time they've been used in earnest was when the police station at Skipton was being refurbished and North Yorkshire cops decanted to the Barnoldswick police station.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I seem to remember when I was reading the archived Barlick & Earby Times when doing my research for the war memorial that Fernlea was mention as the surgery for one of the doctors, not sure if it wasn't Dr Alderton. J.D Robertson was a junior doctor at the time and he manned the first aid post when they ran blood collecting sessions for the war effort in the town.

Here is an extract from my research:

This is 1944, Fernlea is not mentioned here but I'm sure I read it elsewhere. Nolics dad is mentioned in the papers and it's interesting to see the inroads being made to some of the older diseases now virtually eradicated.

"June 30th

There is a large advertisement on the front page:
A MAN'S LIFE MAY DEPEND ON YOU
Enrol for the "SECOND FRONT" as a volunteer Blood Donor
at the First Aid Post
Bethesda Sunday School
Blood Transfusion Sessions will be held
3.00 - 5.00pm and 6.00 - 8.30pm
In the same issue, Dr Alderton gives his annual report on the health of the townsfolk based on his records for 1943.

There have been a few mild cases of Scarlet Fever and 43 cases of Whooping Cough but a general decrease in cases of notifiable diseases. There have been no cases of Diphtheria which speaks well for the immunisation steps taken.

There was an increase in the Birth Rate and a decrease in the number of Deaths in the town.
162 Births - 91 Males and 71 Females
130 Deaths - 60 Males and 70 Females

Heart Disease - 52
Cancer - 18
Bronchitis - 5
Road Traffic Accidents - 3

The water supply in town was still of good quality and in plentiful supply. There were two motor ambulances operating in the district. A number of women were transported to hospital to have their babies although the majority of births in the town were attended to by Nurse Barlow.

July 7th

There is a report about the excellent response to the Blood Donors appeal. A total of 121 pints were collected from the donors that attended. R.N.V.R. Surgeon Lieut. Craig acted as Medical Officer in charge, with local Dr. J.D. Robertson in control of the First Aid Post.

July 14th

The first of many casualties from the Normandy Invasion are starting to be reported in the paper.

Wounded in Normandy
Pte. Carol Myers from Hill Street in Barnoldswick
Suffered a leg wound during the first week of fighting in Normandy. He is now in hospital in England and is able to walk with a stick. At another hospital which was visited by the Queen, Her Majesty chatted with him during her visit. Pte. Myers is a former Territorial Army soldier and has served in North Africa, Sicily and Italy with a short time in airborne forces."
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The Barlick & Earby Times for the 1940's is now available on line through the National Newspaper Archive and Find My Past. I've just done a quick search for "Fernlea" and found Dr Alderton's obituary in July 1946. It states that Fernlea was built for him.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Is the Craven Herald also available Wendy? The microfiche copy held at the library is virtually unreadable as it was scanned in the wrong orientation.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

No, afraid not, just the B&E from 1940 to 1955.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Have you a link for it Wendy?
I dipped into the index.... Herbert Charles Alderton was born in 1859. I the 1891 census he is 32 and living at 50 Rainhall Road. Wife Wilhelmina 34, Gladys 3, Charles Edward 6, Maurice G 5, Wilfred 6 months.
He was appointed MOH for BUDC on March 7th 1899 and retired in 1929. In 1898 he was one of the original purchasers of Bridge Mill at Sough on the formation of the Kelbrook Mill Company in 1898. In Barrett 1902 his address is given as Fernlea, Rainhall Road.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Both sites are subscription only Stanley, but I've downloaded the page. It's not very clear once you enlarge it enough to read.
Dr Alderton obit.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

"Wounded in Normandy
Pte. Carol Myers from Hill Street in Barnoldswick
Suffered a leg wound during the first week of fighting in Normandy. He is now in hospital in England and is able to walk with a stick. At another hospital which was visited by the Queen, Her Majesty chatted with him during her visit. Pte. Myers is a former Territorial Army soldier and has served in North Africa, Sicily and Italy with a short time in airborne forces." This is my dad. Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Fernlea was a doctors house and surgery when I was growing up in the 1950's. Dr Roberts rings a bell but I'm not sure. Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

The on-line newspapers, from commercial sources , tend to be from the scans local libraries, etc have already made, making many difficut to read or find meaningful stuff in.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Nolic wrote:Fernlea was a doctors house and surgery when I was growing up in the 1950's. Dr Roberts rings a bell but I'm not sure. Nolic
Yes, I think J.D Robertson was in there as well at one time, it would make sense if it was already a surgery.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks for the download Wendy....
We did a lot on Fernlea on the old site. Nice to record it again.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks for the download Wendy....
We did a lot on Fernlea on the old site. Nice to record it again.....

1892 25" OS. Fernlea is the building south of the station. By the way, 'WM' in the coal yard is the Weighing Machine, large weighbridge for carts etc.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bumped and images restored.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bumped again. Slightly spooky in that the week we hear about Colin's death he pops up in this topic talking about his dad.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

A bit more spooky - the Doctor referred to by Wendyf was called Alderton. When I first moved to this area - one of the practice GP's was also called Alderton. I see that the Barlick one came originally from East Anglia, so it's possible they are related. Doctors do run in families. Now there's a little genealogical challenge for someone? :smile:

He's long retired now and the last time I saw him was in the queue for one of the Covid jabs. I took it as a positive. Not so sure now. :smile:

Google reveals - a letter to the Guardian.
 On a wall of a building in central Cambridge (which, until recently, housed a branch of Barclays bank) there is a blue plaque identifying it as the site of the home of John Mortlock, 1755-1816, and where he opened the first banking house in Cambridge. At the bottom of the plaque there is a quotation: "That which you call corruption I call influence." Perhaps this is the foundation for the current banking scandals.
Arthur Alderton
Melbourn, Cambridgeshire

PS Since one of the main streets in the village is Mortlock Street I couldn't resist investigating a bit further and find that John Mortlock is quite interesting.
The full quotation seems to be -
"without influence, which you call corruption, men will not be induced to support government, though they generally approve of its measures".[3]

There's no end to it with google at your finger tips. :laugh5:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

And, as AI becomes more and more the common tool, it will get even more 'interesting'.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Stanley's View”