Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 02 Apr 2022, 01:58 Their medication was too powerful on the runny nose and lousy at everything else. My sore throat was worse than at any time before and I blame their medication.
When I get a respiratory infection I rely on paracetamol. I can't take Ibuprofen or other NSAIDs, as they are called, due to stomach inflammation. Even the various over-the-counter liquid medicines tend to upset my stomach. So I try to avoid infection! It's bad luck you got it - I think there's a large element of chance in catching the latest variant, it's so widespread and so easily transmissible.

Wendy, Mrs Tiz often uses the saltwater spray because she often suffers catarrh problems even without any infection.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 02 Apr 2022, 06:17 I get sinus problems from time to time and find that Sterimar, which is just a salt water nasal spray, works well.
I used the Sudafed nose spray, most of that looks to be a saline solution, it cleared my stuffy sinuses when I had the plague. I might try just a sea water spray once the grass pollen kicks in.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

First Stanley, good to hear that you are surviving if not actually having a good time. Keep it up. :smile:

P. In fairness the advice to continue to mask etc is for those with symptoms, or a positive test, not the general population.

Google Night Nurse + addiction for some interesting information. I never used Sudafed, but seems it's Pseudoephedrine so best stay away from competitive athletics for a while. :smile:
Tizer wrote: 02 Apr 2022, 11:28 it's so widespread and so easily transmissible.
I read that this week in UK 5 million people have been infected, that's 1 in 13 of the whole population.This is the highest weekly figure since the outbreak began. I have concluded that since deaths have got nowhere near the 1000+ a day that was experienced in the initial 2020 outbreak, that this variant is very different and not as severe as the original Kent / Delta variant was.

We are told that continued vaccination is the way forward. I'm not so sure. Diligent vaccination didn't protect Stanley, though I appreciate that his latest jab had not time to be effective, it was less than 6 months after the 'booster'. Has it been researched whether the reduced risk is due to the 'vaccine' or the 'variant'? If it's a two horse race I'd be backing the 'variant' :smile:

Remember that it is politically in the Government's interest to say it was the 'vaccine' as the roll out of the programme was 'world beating' and a clear benefit of us leaving the EU. I note that from today at 7.00 am children down to age 5 years are eligible to get a low (one third) dose of the 'vaccine'. Since this seems not to prevent them from contracting or passing on an infection, and the disease is unlikely to harm them, I'm struggling to see the benefit to them.

No press conferences now to ask such questions - all knighted and moved on. . . . :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Afternoon all. I seem to be surviving and feel better than I did last night. I shall take Sudafed and Paracetamol when I go to bed and gargle with salt water. Bugger the night nurse!
Question, when should I test again?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 02 Apr 2022, 12:33 Afternoon all. I seem to be surviving and feel better than I did last night. I shall take Sudafed and Paracetamol when I go to bed and gargle with salt water. Bugger the night nurse!
Question, when should I test again?
5 days after symptoms started, although symptoms had diminished I was still positive after 11 days.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Kev.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

I was testing positive 10 days after but very faintly, but it was still there.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Not before 8 days really from what you considered to be the first sign of symptoms. Its different for different people. However you are most infectious two days before symptoms and 3-4 days after, hence the 5 -7 day rule. My grand daughter tested negative after 3 days . Positive tests after 7 days are usually related to weakened and dead viruses. Bob tested positive for 8-9 days but felt better from day 4. In fact by all your standards he was hardly ill at all

Don’t decry the vaccine Tripps the vaccination does give some protection, it does stimulate antibody and T cell production but those who have had the disease will have a better all round immune response. What the vaccination is doing is reducing both severity of the disease and the Length of the disease , or so I understand it.
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning All. Here's the sitrep I have sent my daughters.
Morning All. Sitrep.... I went to bed at 19:00 having taken no meds since 11AM. Slept for eight hours, woke up a couple of times with a dry throat but water cured that. Up now at usual time and feel like an old bloke with a snotty head cold, not someone dying of Covid. I think I have turned a corner but will still be very kind to myself. Beyond inhaling with Olbas oil I shan't take anything unless the situation changes.
In my own mind Sue yours was the best advice lots of water and steam inhalations with Olbas oil (But it hurts!)
Later at 07:15 Went back to bed. Slept for another three hours but then woke up feeling hungry, a good sign I think so I have got up and made some breakfast... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

That’s all sounding very positive Stanley.
Gloria
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think so too Gloria but what I am beginning to realise about Covid is it has a lot of cards up its sleeve. I enjoyed my breakfast but now feel very fatigued, more so than I would have expected normally. I shan't fight it, I shall do the sensible thing and go back to bed and feel tired there!
By the way, I have washed all my snotty towels and sweaty tee shirts on a hot wash and hung them to dry..... Standards are being maintained! Talk to you later....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Fatigue was definitely a factor for both of us, the afternoon nap was a must when I wasn't working.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

If they ever make sleeping an Olympic sport, enter me for it. Just slept another 4 hours. I have had a wash and a shave and brewed up. Shan't go to bed again until tonight. Still no cold medication. I have a feeling the worst is past but will not do anything silly. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I asked the question "What if I had been an anti vaxxer" the other day and I've been thinking about it since. I haven't heard anything about the anti vaccination protesters and wondered whether their ranks were thinning as it becomes obvious that if you're vaccinated you have a lot of protection, if not prospects are bleak. One would think that the intelligent ones would be rethinking their position.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

You'd certainly think so, either that or they all succumbed to the virus.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I won't ask again after this - promise :smile: - but how do you know that the outcome (and I'm pleased and relieved that you're feeling better after just four days) is due to the 'vaccine' or the fact that the current variant is a great deal less severe than the original? Six members of my close family have had it, and five of them have barely broken stride - one was poorly for a few days.

This 'vaccine was designed for a different variant, and as far as I'm aware has not yet been modified for the current one, gives no protection against infection or transmission, just improves the outcome for those infected. Maybe it does. My simple mind is open to other possibilities.

Meanwhile news today that - inevitably

A new Covid variant called XE has been found in the UK. It is a mutation of the BA.1 and BA.2 Omicron strains, the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) has explained. Professor Susan Hopkins, the UKHSA's chief medical advisor transition lead, said that recombinant variants - hybrids of variants - were not uncommon. She added that they usually died off quickly.
Experts at the UKHSA also say it is too early to know whether it is more transmissible than previous versions of the virus. As of March 22, 637 cases of XE had been detected in England. That would make it only a fraction of the tens of thousands of total cases being reported each day at the moment, The Independent has reported.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I don't know David, not for certain, but I'm giving vaccination the benefit because if my not being seriously ill is not due to the vaccines, a lot of people have been wasting their time. By the way, it's done more than break my stride, I was and still am poorly, like a severe dose of flu. You may note the time and yes I'm up because I can't sleep. Too much sleep during the day happen. I shall have to watch that. I shall have a pot of tea, watch Youtube and then go back to bed...... (Sooner this lot is over the better....)
Later at 04:30. I went back and had over 4 hours sleep so that's all right. :biggrin2:
Later still at 07:00 I am going back to bed to rest or sleep. The risk of making it hard to sleep tonight is outweighed by the good it does.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Good reading :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Big Kev wrote: 04 Apr 2022, 20:37 Good reading :good:
Lots more if you search in scientific literature, and there is loads of constant monitoring going on , and analysis for reformatting the vaccine when necessary. When you compare the efficacy of this vaccine with the flu vaccine it is still better even now
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Old bloke with bad cold has just got up in Barlick after a big sleep..... I think I am better but not got to being cheerful yet! Has anyone else experienced the depression you get with flu? :sad:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Didn’t experience depression Stanley, but it seems to be showing lots of different symptoms.
Gloria
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

No depression experienced with Covid here. Fatigue and boredom.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Back up again, perhaps the depression is just old age!
Sue's small but frequent inhalations are doing a good job, had clearer than it's been all week!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Keep talking about it and try to stay positive. Fresh air and daylight is good.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”