'Owt else or Any Other Business

Tripps
VIP Member

Re: 'Owt else or Any Other Business

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 30 Jul 2024, 11:01 or the whole of the BBC job?
It's hard work today. :smile:

He doesn't work for the BBC - he was working for Eurosport. I doubt if he will do so again.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

He was working for Eurosport Stanley not the BBC.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Do you know I knew that but from the way it was worded I thought it was an arm of the Beeb. Thank you all for putting me straight.... :biggrin2:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I ordered an electric razor off Ebay and it hasn't arrived. I have used their chatline to ask for action and I have been promised that if it is not here by the 8th of August I can get back to them and my money will be refunded.
Here's hoping!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The courier who has cocked up is Evri, the reincarnation of Hermes who were so dreadful.
The spam email phishing for my bank details that I got the other day was based on their management of my order and of course I blocked that. Did I block Evri at the same time?
Roll on August 9 when we can move forward.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS report that completely baffled me.
If the axiom that a dog is man’s best friend holds any credence, Dolce & Gabbana has now elevated it with the introduction of its latest perfume: a mist for dogs. But the RSPCA has warned against messing with dogs’ sense of smell by giving them their own fragrance, warning the odour could come across as unpleasant for them – and hamper their ability to connect with their surroundings. “Unconditional love”, “loyal” and “playful” are some of the words at the heart of the Italian fashion house’s latest campaign for a new alcohol-free scented mist for dogs. “I am delicate, authentic, charismatic,” the advertisement begins as it flips through footage of a finely groomed dachshund, chihuahua and bichon frisé all perched atop a stool. “Cause I’m not just a dog, I’m Fefé.” For €99 (£84), owners can have their pets smelling of the “warm notes” of ylang ylang, musk and sandalwood. The new luxury dog mist has a 24-carat gold-plated paw on the glass bottle and customers are offered an exclusive Dolce & Gabbana dog collar with a tag.
My first thought when I saw this was that children are dying of starvation and yet some people are marketing a perfume for dogs. Put me down as being dead against it.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I had a delicious cup of coffee at a neighbour's house the other day which turned out to be Café Direct's Machu Picchu. Is that the one you use Stanley and if so do you buy it in the Co-op?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My favourite coffee Wendy and yes, the Co-op stock it. Expensive but I have found nothing nicer.
(The longer you let it brew, the better it gets!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I will have to treat myself!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's expensive I know but worth it......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I've just been watching the Olympic ganes from Paris. Here are a few random thoughts.

It's been a bit disappointing - I think the coverage has been run by non British interests - probably French. They seem more interested in the winner of an event rather than the bronze medal British competitor.

Are the interviewers paid by the word or the minute?- certainly not by the relevance of their questions. Gold medal performances for interviews by Hazel Irvine. Silver to Clare Balding.

After all the fuss about XY chromosones - I still haven't seen the final of the ladies welterweight boxing.

Some of the events looked more like a computer game than an actual computer game. e.g Skateboarding.

Tae Kwondo is a boring load of rubbish, and Judo at this level comes prety close too. Should we really give a medal for kicking someone in the head? Perhaps GMP should enter a team?

Breaking - a new event was even more amazing than I could have imagined. Don't ring us - we'll ring you.

Most events are getting more freakish as winning margins reduce to milimetres, and miliseconds. The dedication training, and preparation for the events must come close to child abuse.

I read that having two white and two black athletes in the relay final was evidence of diversity in action. No one mentioned that there not a single black swimmer in the team. perhaps in both cases, the best person was chosen for the team?

What a contrast between the Chinese weightlifting winner and their gymnasts. Perhaps they should swap over - that would be amusing.

I tried to like the cycling, but if anyone other than the commentator understood what went on the final of the 'Omnium' I'll plait treacle. :smile:

Here's how it uses to be - a long time ago- when wheels had spokes and you went home if it rained -at Fallowfield .
fallowfield.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

AAhh.... I remember Fallowfield and the cycle races. My dad used to take me and I think he liked it because they had a good beer tent! (Cornbrook Brewery, I remember because I had one of their bottle openers for years.)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My new Trickers came today. They have had their first coat of dark tan polish and I shall wear them indoors and out to ease them into shape. Very pleased with them, slightly lighter than the Ilkley Brogue and a snip in the sale at £345. £210 off the full price.....
I am a happy and optimistic bunny. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I find myself increasingly at odds on many topics with most of the people who post on here, and not wishing to cause any bother - I refrain from saying what I think on most topics. This is becoming stressful. I came across this the other day. I was unaware that it was a "thing". It has a great deal of appeal. I might give it a try. No guarantees though - to those whose hopes I have raised. :laugh5:

To consider your question more deeply, we’ll first look at the tradition of quietism — the philosophy of withdrawal. It’s a concept that’s always been big in Christian theology but that has also enjoyed occasional and surprising peaks in popularity. Then, in total contrast, we’ll look at the nature of dialectic and the philosophical forum that a lot of philosophers lionize. Then, in a strange twist of events, I’m going to call upon analytic metaphysics to help us out in the final analysis.

Quietism: Leaving the world to get on with it

At its core, quietism means retreating from the active pursuit of truth or intellectual engagement, promoting instead a kind of serene acceptance of the world as it is. Quietism walks the thin line between apathy and calm. It still cares about the world and its people but tends to let everyone go their own way, focusing only on meditation, contemplation, and quietude. Of course, this sounds a lot like monasticism. It’s not surprising, then, that the idea’s roots are found in Christian mysticism, with figures like Meister Eckhart blending quietist retreat with a kind of spiritualism. It meant union with the divine and caring only for prayer. Abandon society in favor of God.

Quietism has never entirely gone away. And what Terry is talking about is a kind of quietism — it’s disengagement from people and withdrawal. The ancient Skeptics in Greece often sought a state of “ataraxia,” which meant a calm acceptance of things. It’s a serenity that comes from shrugging and saying, “Oh well,” to almost everything. The Irish writer Samuel Beckett was known for his quietist leanings. In his 20s, Beckett would have these terrible panic attacks where he’d hyperventilate and wake up in the night drenched in sweat. Quietism is the tranquil withdrawal from things, and it helped Beckett enormously. When you know this fact, you can see quietist strands in his absurdist plays.

So, Terry, you’ve got support from 16th-century Christian theology and one of the greatest writers in history. Quietism would argue that not “even considering taking the first step” to find your common ground is better for your mental well-being. It’s the calm, ataraxic state of the Gallic shrug. Which sounds rather nice with a glass of wine.
Epictetus: Philosophy as a meter stick
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I know what you mean David and yes, sometimes it can be a problem. However, the site is much like life in general, not everyone sees things our way.
Whenever I find myself disagreeing with someone the first thought that comes to me is "perhaps they are right". Perhaps that's a form of quietism.....
I found a site called Quora which engages in philosophical discussion. Reading it reminded me of why I react so badly to such discussions. I don't see any benefit from peering up your own bottom, far more useful to do something practical, like build a steam engine......
(I know, a very juvenile point of view but it has served me well for almost 90 years..... :biggrin2: )
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Have any of you noticed that we have a new player in the fight to swamp our advertising with bookies?
The US movie giant MGM has entered the field and is trying to persuade us they are new and exciting. Not a lot of chance of them being hampered by the government, too much tax revenue from gambling.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”