DYSON MALLINSON

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

DYSON MALLINSON

Post by Stanley »

DYSON MALLINSON

Request posted on Oneguy, 03 July 2004

Visitors to Oneguy must be aware that there is a wonderful reservoir of sound local history knowledge behind it. I'm not referring to what is actually on the site but what is triggered off once debate starts on a subject. I have concrete evidence of this in the massive file of items on my desk from the site that need indexing.

Anyone who has read my Bracewell material will be aware of the debt I owe to friends and co-researchers who have shared their knowledge with me. One such person is Ann Battersby who has hit a brick wall with one of her research leads which is incidentally of interest to a lot of us looking at the general local history of the West Craven area. I'll lay out what is known so far and then make my request.

Info from Ann Battersby, Jan 2004. ‘Who’s Who entry for Dyson Mallinson: Born 30/3/1852 of George Mallinson of Hoyle House, Almondbury. Knighted in 1921, a governor of the Leys School Cambridge. Married Elizabeth Annie, daughter of Christopher Bracewell but he married again in 1889 to Jane Kelley, daughter of John Kelley.’
Ann says that there was a rumour that Dyson and Elizabeth lived apart and that she took to the bottle. She also says that Ann Bradley, Christopher's mistress, was nurse to Elizabeth Annie after her mother, Susannah died when she was six months old.

Elizabeth Annie Mallinson nee Bracewell and Dyson Mallinson.
1. May 13th 1880 they were married at the Wesleyan Chapel.
2 .(1881 census they were living at Hollins Mount, Heaton Norris.)
3. !885 Christopher Bracewell went to Colorado and left Dyson Mallinson in charge of the Earby mills.
4. 1885-1889 was the Mallinson era, they had lived at Heather View, Green End.
5. Mr. Scholes took over and lived at Heather View then the business collapsed in July 1889 with a permanent stoppage.
6. The Mallinsons went to live at Ormskirk and he resumed his business at Liverpool and Manchester.
7.- 1891 census returns searched for Lancs but there is no sight of them. So where were they?
8.In Who's Who Elizabeth Annie is supposed to have died by 1889. But when Dyson remarried on 31st January 1900 he declared himself to be a Bachelor - why not a Widower? Certificate was witnessed by Eli Mallinson his brother and a J.P.
Reginald Dyson their son was sent to the Leys School from1898-1899 and was training to be a Cotton Broker by 1901. I have yet to find their second child. You will see from Christopher's will of 1904 or thereabouts that he specifically says that Elizabeth Annie was at Southwell, and in view of the fact that Robert's and Walter's place of residence is equally specific I feel that Elizabeth Annie may still have been alive. My suspicion is that EA left in 1898 when Reginald went to boarding school and Dyson could begin to pay attention to Helena Jane Kelley.

So, we have some specific questions:

Does anyone have knowledge of where Elizabeth Annie and Dyson Mallinson were at the 1891 census?

What is known about Dyson Mallinson and Scholes during their stewardship of the Bracewell Mills in Earby.

Where is 'Heather View' at Green End.

Has anyone got a definite date for Elizabeth leaving Earby and her divorce?

From my own point of view there is much I do not know about this rather confused period in the history of the Earby mills which is of course what lead me to the Bracewells in the first place. Any information on this subject at all will be useful.

I know this involves some work on the part of anyone who has to trawl through their archives. Please do it for us. If you have any documents that could usefully be scanned or transcribed and put on the site please contact me and I will do it.

Thanks for your time, Stanley.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Return to “Research Topics”