Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

MASSON MILL ENGINE

Post by Stanley »

MASSON MILL ENGINE
Research as of 28 March 2004

ENGINE AT MASSON (2)
Ann Andrews told me in March 2004. Report in the High Peak News of 08/09/1900 that the Masson chimney, new engine house, east-west wing modelled for a new gassing house, yard covered in to a plan by Stott and Sons, 5 Cross Street, Manchester nearing completion. There is a reference in Holden’s book on Stott and Sons which states that Stotts started design work in 1890. In March 2004, Yvonne Daykin told me: In ‘Derwent Valley Mills and their Communities’ Pub. 2001 there is a statement that the Stott chimney dates from 1900. An article in the Drapers Record of 18/09/1897 when Masson was bought by ESC describes ‘two huge waterwheels giving an aggregate of 300 hp. There is also a steam engine to supplement the smaller water wheel.’ There was a drawing with this article which may give clues. There is an RCHM report on Masson dated 1991 but from what Yvonne tells me it isn’t very helpful in this matter. They seem to be guessing. However, the report does say that the present sprinkler pump is the original originally installed at the north end, made by Mills of Radcliffe.

MASSON MILL ENGINE. (1)
Info From Doreen Buxton, March 2004. The 1900 alterations at Masson Mill included the installation of a ’36 ton boiler and an economiser’. The boiler was delivered in May and brought to Matlock by Robinson’s of Sheffield traction engine and staff. Reported by local paper as ‘largest boiler known’. References to an engine called ‘Rebecca’ seem to refer to a Marshall engine, Gainsborough, installed in the north end of the original Arkwright mill in 1888. It was noted as being 100 hp. and must have had a boiler. On the old views of the mill there is a chimney on the north end built into the mill. The EH report on the mill mentions a sprinkler pump made by George Mills and Co, Radcliffe, probably installed in the 1890s and according to Doreen, before 1897. There is a sprinkler pump there now and I have an idea it is the same one. Ann Andrews, who runs the Matlock Bath web site says that Benjamin Bryan, in a book published in 1903 mentions the Stott chimney as being built after 1897.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Return to “Research Topics”