SOUGH DRAINAGE

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

SOUGH DRAINAGE

Post by Stanley »

SOUGH DRAINAGE

A friend of mine is doing some ground-breaking work using the latest LIDAR imaging of the area. This is a technique that 'sees' through vegetation and gives a very accurate picture of the smallest features on the ground. He noticed some traces of old watercourses at Sough and asked me to comment.
The first thing to do is look back to what I had to say about County Brook last week and the 'Salterforth Lake'. There is very little fall on the water coming down from Salterforth Bottoms through Sough. (The name is the clue here!) I have little doubt that it was a very swampy piece of ground. The problem was so bad that in the early part of the 19th century the Salterforth electors and others joined together to find a solution. I had an idea there was a Drainage Act but couldn't find a reference. However, this extract from the Craven Herald of 22/07/1938 is enlightening:
"Evidence of Mr John Edmondson, Skipton Road, whose father and grandfather occupied the White Lion Inn. About a century ago the low lying ground between Foulridge and Earby was a veritable swamp for most of the year and near Salterforth it was known as 'Salterforth Lake'. A Drainage Board was appointed by Government Commissioners and they met in the vestry of Thornton in Craven church. Four drains were made called Kelbrook Bottoms Drain, Earby Holmes Drain, Stone Trough Drain and Lancashire Gill Drain. The reclaimed land on either side of the main stream was allotted to the neighbouring farms. From Sough Bridge to Earby, on the East side, one field went to Tunstead Farm and the next field to Moor Hall Farm. The second field from the Earby end was formerly in two parts one of which belonged to the White Lion Inn and the other to John O' Dick's Farm. The first field at the bottom of Langroyd Lane belonged to the Waddington Fold Farm and was called 'Wadd Holme'. The Kelbrook portion was known as Kelbrook Bottoms and the Earby section as Earby Holmes. The fields on the West side of the beck were mostly allocated to White House Farm."
Bear in mind what I said last week about the alterations to water flows made during the construction of Whitemoor reservoir in 1840. I don't think it is a coincidence that this initiative cropped up at the same time. In a nutshell, the whole of the drainage system from Salterforth Bottoms to Earby was opened up and improved and I think that the LIDAR traces on the map of Sough are the course of the original watercourse which was re-cut, straightened out and improved to get better flow around 1840. I've just looked on the First edition OS (1853) and the realigned watercourse is shown and given the name 'New Cut'.
You see! History can be useful! When you see the New Cut in spate now you know where the water is coming from and why.

The New Cut at Sough speeding the water down to Earby.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
David Whipp

Re: SOUGH DRAINAGE

Post by David Whipp »

The flat valley bottom is covered by an Internal Drainage Board. This is the administrative body that looks after the ditches and becks and raises a levy (pardon pun!) to pay for the work.

Administrative Lancashire has very few Internal Drainage Boards; indeed, the Earby and Salterforth Internal Drainage Board is the only one! This is something I was able to pass on to the Floods Minister, Rory Stewart MP, when he visited the county the other week. I think it underlines the unique position of Earby; caught between two stools amongst the authorities responsible for flooding.

Have a look at this Craven Herald report for more info. (Please note, I strongly consider that Earby is part of the historic West Riding of Yorkshire, and is only in Lancashire for administrative reasons...)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We have an original copy of the Thornton Drainage Award 1819 in our archive, I believe it was all part and parcel of the Enclosure Award. It was a duplicate that the Lancs Record Office didn't want when we were indexing the Wilfred Spencer collection at Colne library.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I've dug out the document this morning and it seems to be a draft copy of an 1825 document containing extracts from the Thornton in Craven Enclosure Act which pertain to drainage. It sets out the course of the New Cut, including dimensions and the size and slope of the embankments.
It has additions to show the landowners in 1860.
We also have a copy of the Drainage Award map.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Here is part of the plan. Its a bit faint I'm afraid, but if you enlarge it things become clear. (Though you may have to download it first.)

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Wendy, if you compare the 1819 plan with the 1853 OS with the article you'll see that the 1819 document seems to be showing the original meandering course of the beck before it was rationalised and became the New Cut.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Yes, with the proposed course of the New Cut marked, though the line is quite faint. Let me know if you would like to see the document or more of the plan.
I might have a go at typing up the Drainage Award.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I missed that detail Wendy. Yes, I'd love an image of the whole thing.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

This is the whole plan but not a good image I will try and do better! You can zoom in reasonably well in the centre but it gets out of focus towards the edges. There were 6 x A3 sheets to juggle with and the danger of cats with wet paws getting involved!

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks for that Wendy. As soon as I have a moment I shall make you some proper map weights to aid you in flattening maps and plans! I have some good slugs of steel that will do nicely. (And it will be a pleasure to do some simple turning!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Thank you!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's a pleasure Mrs Falkner and well deserved. You will hear from me very shortly......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Wendy, have a look at Shed Matters.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bumped and images restored. Did I ever make the map weights for you Wendy?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Yes you did, and they are very useful!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good, I couldn't remember.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

LKSF

Post by LKSF »

Hello all, I live locally, but not in Barlick and just found your forum after looking for drainage soughs.
I've been working with ours in the fields if anyone is interested and if this is the thread to post up my experiences in? They aren't part of this system you are discussing, but of the local type.
I'm loving the forum btw, will have to take time to read more of it as I can see plenty of interesting topics.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Welcome. Looking forward to your contributions to the site. Lots to go at. You can add an avatar and a signature or name to your posts in your user control panel. Shout if you need any help.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

welcome, you can start your own thread if you expect to post enough to support it. Otherwise use a general purpose thread like 'Today I shall be mainly' or 'What attracted your attention'. The only rule is there are no rules......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

As you can see, essential knowledge so bumped again!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It's a small world. I've been doing some house history research for a chap who lives up near The Herders and having read the above comment from LKSF I realised it was the same chap.....battling against nature to grow veggies and improve his land!
LKSF

Post by LKSF »

As we sit through storm Babet and the heavy rain it's brought us it seems an apt time to write. The remaining local Soughs will be at full flow for the next couple of days at least.

The Soughs of Wycoller

and the surrounding areas....

From what language the word originated I don't know, but it's a Northern term pronounced 'Suff' or 'Soff'.
I was chatting to someone who knew the history of the local place Sough, she said there was no village originally, just a Sough and the mill it supplied. As time wore on the mill became busier, employed more people who moved closer when houses were built for them, the village of Sough began and grew around the mill to what it is now.

People say there is a wild beauty and romance in the surrounding fields and moors of this region and beyond, there is, but also in actual fact (at least the fields) are very low grade, ruined land. Much of it was beautiful forest at one time, I believe the forests which are now moors came down thousands of years ago. Then in the 15/16th century the Disafforestation act was passed. This allowed the land owners to fell many of the remaining trees in (at least) Wycoller and turn the land over to agriculture. As it was formerly forest floor it was likely very good soil, but over time the rain, lack of trees and soil maintenance took it's toll and the land turned into heavy clay and Gley. Gley is Russian for the blue/grey clay common to the Pennine regions, if you dig deep enough you'll find it.
When it rained the fields turned to bog. Trees of course prevent this, the flooding and keep the soil healthy, but they were long gone. So they now had problem on their hands....

At some point in time (I know not when) field drains were put in and this is how they were done: A trench was hand dug anywhere from 1 to 3ft deep, this would slope from where the flooding started down to a watercourse. On the bottom flat stones were laid, (but not always, the economy versions didn't have these.) At the sides drystone walls were formed, the top was then capped off with stone slabs, rubble was thrown around them and the soil/clay put back. You then had a tunnel to carry the water, as it was porous the water could get into it all the way along to drain away too. It's the forerunner of the modern plastic perforated land drainage pipe.

As the water was now flowing beneath the ground more improved land became available and it was easier and safer to farm. Generally people don't know they are there, until they become blocked and the land floods, then on digging down you learn all about them. Once you know what to look for sometimes you can actually spot their routes under the fields. Often after prolonged heavy rain you can hear the water gurgling beneath your feet, sometimes you will never find out exactly where as the hole is covered by vegetation.

Some were badly built and became naturally blocked with clay or iron ochre and/or collapsed. In recent years heavy modern tractors have caused them to collapse when running over them.

Levering the cap stone off:
20211231_153943.jpg
Inside a large Sough:
271207542_431976418653226_7939072658230625996_n.jpg
271199498_431976228653245_4292841291887684898_n.jpg
This one I named 'The M1' as it travels down the centre of a field and carries a lot of water.

What can happen when one collapses and/or gets blocked:
271243313_431976235319911_4533176340785215008_n.jpg

There was a lot more to come, but I seem to have hit the attachment limit on this post. Also it's telling me my other pics are too big so I can't post them either. I went to the albums it's the same problem there, it won't automatically re-size them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I had stone drains at Hey Farm. The forerunner to the stone drains and a cheap and cheerful method that worked was to dig a trench and lay bundles of brush in before refilling. A good brush drain works for a remarkably long time and can be a useful repair.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

LKSF wrote: 20 Oct 2023, 11:03 There was a lot more to come, but I seem to have hit the attachment limit on this post. Also it's telling me my other pics are too big so I can't post them either. I went to the albums it's the same problem there, it won't automatically re-size them.
If you don't have the software to resize images and use Facebook Messenger, send the images to yourself, they will compressed and should then be OK to post here :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Alternatively, if you have a lot of images you can use a program called Irfanview which is an image processor and available as free download here:

Irfanview

There are versions for 32 and 64 bit Windows and Mac OS

It can handle batch processing of multiple files at once. it can output by files size or image dimensions.

For information, the site software limits the size of individual images if using the gallery, this is to limit the space used on the server. The Gallery module can upload multiple images at the same time (as long as they meet the file size rule). It also resizes to standard dimensions when inserting images in threads.

See also this thread on the site:

Images Tips and Tricks
Ian

Return to “Stanley's View”